June 25, 2013

Empire State Of Mind...


button

Today I'm linking up with Holly and Amy to talk about my favourite vacation EVER! (Doesn't Holly always have the best link ups?!)

Some of the people from the tiny town I grew up in have never left the province, let alone the country. Growing up my family traveled around Canada a lot in the summers months, mostly through SK, MB, AB, BC, and ON. We'd spend weeks at a time in our camper exploring different places. Some of my best childhood memories are from the summers we traveled. 

When I was in Grade Eight we took our first trip to Texas, to the San Antonio area, to visit my Aunt and Uncle. We drove there and spent two weeks exploring the San Antonio area. We also took few days and went to Corpus Christi. The next year, again during Easter Break, we road tripped back to Texas. I haven't been back since but am dying to get back there. 

The next year, my Grade 10 year, I went on an EF Tour of Europe during Easter Break. We went to Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. My 15 year old self didn't appreciate the history as much as she should've so I've been wanting to go back for years to rediscover everything.

This past winter I traveled to Mexico just before Christmas for the first time ever, to celebrate the wedding of one of my oldest friends. We stayed at an amazing resort and I never once felt unsafe the whole time I was there. 

And if you have ever read this blog of mine before then you probably know of my love for Las Vegas. 

Those may have been some awesome vacations and I have some great memories BUT there is one vacation that I haven't mentioned yet that is absolutely, hands down, my favourite vacation EVER. 

Last summer I took my first trip to NYC. And it definitely won't be my last. 

I went with my high school friend 'Scooby'. A friend of hers is a medical resident at a hospital in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We flew to Harrisburg, spent a few days exploring the area and surrounding areas, and then 'Scooby' and I headed off to NYC. 

We took the train from Harrisburg to NYC. If  When I go back to NYC, even if its not to visit Mri in PA, I would still fly into a smaller area like that, and then take the train into the City. It saved us soooo much money. Flying into NYC would've cost us at least $1000 more than we paid for our airfaire and train tickets combined. 

I'd never taken a train before so it was definitely a highlight of the trip. We stayed at a hotel a block from Times Square. It was pricey but worth it to be close. We only had three days to pack everything in, and we definitely tried our best. We mostly did the 'touristy' things since we didn't have a lot of time there. Next time I go I'd like to see NYC like a real New Yorker and visit the 'off the beaten path' places. 

I had a list a mile long prepared of what we needed to see/do while we were there. And even though we were only there for 3 days we somehow managed to accomplish almost all of them. 

Day 1
  • Lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square
  • Madame Tussauds Wax Museum
  • Pizza at an authentic pizza place in Times Square
  • Chicago on Broadway 
  • Exploring Times Square at night  






Day 2 - Our only full day in the city and definitely are busiest
  • We grabbed muffins from Magnolia Bakery, coffee from Starbucks, and then walked to Fifth Avenue had 'Breakfast' at Tiffanys
  • Central Park Zoo. Central Park was one of my favourite things - I wish we would've had more time to explore
  • Empire State Building
  • Shopping, Shopping, Shopping
  • Battery Park
  • Exploring the Financial District
  • St. Pauls Chapel
  • 9/11 Memorial











Day 3

  • Ferry to Ellis and Liberty Island - Spent at least 3 hours exploring the two Islands
  • Lunch, aka hot dogs from a hot dog stand, on the steps of the Met 
  • Shopping on Madison Avenue
  • Train back to PA :(





I'd always wanted to visit NYC but had no idea that I would completely fall in love with the city.  Everything about it captivated me. Everyone at home couldn't believe I wasn't scared to walk the streets or take the Subway. I felt safer in  NYC than I do in the Queen City.

I was thinking the other day about how badly I want to go back, how much I miss it, how different this summer is going to be from last, and it honestly brought tears to my eyes. I never thought I could love anywhere more than I do Vegas, but NYC stole my heart.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great trip. You have really made me want to visit NYC. Hopefully someday we'll be able to go.

    Thanks so much for linking up with Holly and I today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved going to NYC too! Don't you feel like there is so much to see? I need to go back one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd LOVE to do NYC!! And your lace skirt in those pictures is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW it looks like a awesome trip!! I love going to NYC...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I went to San Antonio for our honeymoon. We had a lot of fun! NYC is great too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com